Building Contractors, Wide Range of Construction Services, including Building, Plumbing, Heating & Electrical
Emergency lighting provides a safe escape route where existing lighting has failed due to a fire or other incident. This type of safety lighting is designed to activate automatically, assisting occupants in exiting the premises. Smoke produced by even a small fire can make it almost impossible to see anything. Different kinds of safety lighting include:-
- Emergency lighting – provides immediate lighting in a particular area and for a certain amount of time.
- Emergency escape lighting – enables fast and safe exit from a building or location if the mains supply fails.
- Emergency escape route lighting – Provides visual directions and helps people to locate escape routes safely in special settings, also allowing easier discovery of fire fighting equipment.
- Open area or anti-panic lighting – attempts to create the conditions for safe movement in a calmer environment.
- High risk task area lighting – is used wherever there is a potentially dangerous situation or process due to chemicals etc, and provides time for the correct shut down to be performed.
Buildings will usually have a range of different forms of emergency lighting, each covering a specific set of requirements. Decisions about which lighting is needed and where, are made after a risk assessment is carried out.
Extreme anxiety and confusion is expected in many emergency situations, but strategically placed emergency lighting luminaires and signposting can help to alleviate stress, and result in a successful evacuation. Consideration should also be given to the particular needs of people especially in certain situations. For instance older people may struggle in low light conditions, and their eyes might be slow to adapt, so they will need a stronger emergency light option. Specialists such as Fire Logistics Ltd are experts within fire prevention, and along with a wide variety of fire extinguishers, sprinkler systems and safety training, they offer high quality emergency lighting.